Tuesday 29 August 2017

matrices - What do real eigenvalues imply for a matrix

Suppose we have a matrix $A \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}$ with $\textrm{eig}(A)=\{ \lambda_1, \lambda_2, \ldots, \lambda_n\}$ such that $\lambda_i \in \mathbb{R}$.



Does the realness of the eigenvalues imply some structure in $A$?




I know of that $A=A^{\sf T}$ (real symmetric) implies all the eigenvalues will be real, but I'm wondering about implications in the other direction.
Is there some additional condition + realness of eigenvalues which would imply the matrix is symmetric?



Context: I'm trying to classify special types of matrices according to the properties of their eigenvalues. e.g. $\lambda_i \geq 0$, then $A$ is positive semidefinite, etc. If anyone can point me to a list of such correspondences between eigenvalue constraints and matrix properties it would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...