Tuesday 29 August 2017

real analysis - Establishing convergence of $int_0^1sqrt{frac{x^2+1}{x}}dx$

I am tasked with determining whether the following improper integral converges:
$$\int_0^1\sqrt{\frac{x^2+1}{x}}dx$$Deemed improper as $\lim_{x\to0^+}\sqrt{(x^2+1)/x}=\infty$. After a while of struggling I got Wolfram alpha to tell me that it evaluates to some expression involving hypergeometric functions (whatever they are - but not important!) - i.e: it converges, so it was left to me to demonstrate why.




Seeing as the function doesn't have an elementary antiderivative, it won't be possible to just show $\lim_{x\to0^+}\int_x^1\sqrt{(t^2+1)/t}\;dt$ exists, rather something like comparison to a larger function would be necessary, but I don't really know how to do that to functions in this form. I was also thinking of sort of using a reverse of the integral test for infinite series, by performing some change of variables on the integrand to get something like $\int_1^\infty f(t)dt$ which exists iff $\sum_{n=1}^\infty f(n)$ but I don't know whether (a) this would be valid or (b) this would be any quicker/easier.



Any help regarding this specific integral, or further general methods for dealing with improper integrals, would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...