Thursday 7 June 2018

calculus - Show that a recursive sequence converges





Let $a_1 = 1, a_2 = 2$ and $a_n = {1\over 2}(a_{n-1}+a_{n-2})$
Show that the sequence converges.




At first I thought using the theorem which says that a bounded and monotone sequence converges, but the sequence (at least the first terms) is not monotone.



I suspect I should use Cauchy's criteria but don't know how to apply it here.



Be glad for help.


Answer




We can prove that $$|a_n-a_{n-1}|=\frac{1}{2^{n-2}}$$



You can check that it works for $n=2$. Assuming it holds for $n$, we have $$|a_{n+1}-a_n|=\left|\frac{a_n+a_{n-1}}{2}-a_n\right|={1\over 2}|a_{n-1}-a_n|={1\over 2}|a_n-a_{n-1}|={1\over 2}\frac{1}{2^{n-2}}=\frac{1}{2^{n+1-2}}$$



This should lead to a proof of convergence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...