Sunday 17 June 2018

reference request - Is there a way to prove that a theorem has no elementary proof? Or to prove that something may have no proof?




Recently I was trying to prove something, more or less elementarily, but eventually started going in circles. My prof said that the proof involves mathematical tools that I've not seen yet, and that it's unlikely there is an elementary proof.



Which got me wondering: would there be a way to prove that there is no elementary proof to a particular theorem, or even a particular kind of theorem? (other than trivial cases such as theorems already involving non-elementary maths)



So, I guess, to rephrase: a way to prove that theorem $X$ can be proved using mathematical tools that are not higher than those needed to state $X$ in the first place?



Or how about theorems that are true but maybe have no proof; can this be known? Can we prove that a theorem may or may not be true, but would have no proof if it were?







I guess this is more metamathematics than mathematics, as it would involve theorems about the properties of theorems.... is there a branch of math that studies this sort of thing? Is this what "proof theory" is?



If there is such a subject: any book recommendations that would be accessible to someone in his 2nd undergrad year? This subject is interesting to me.


Answer



I don't know of any way to prove that a theorem can or cannot be proven by "elementary" methods, and without giving a rigorous definition to what "elementary" means I doubt one would be able to proceed in this direction.



What I do know, is that you should look up Gödel's incompleteness theorems. The branch of math that these sorts of things are studied under is logic. An excellent book on this topic is Gödel, Escher, Bach. It is appropriate for an undergrad, indeed it was written as a popular book and assumes very little mathematical knowledge, although the more math you understand the deeper some parts of the book will seem.



I caution you, the book will seem fairly abstruse at times, and indeed it is a tome (upwards of 700 pages). The part you are interested in is about half way through. I would recommend taking your time. Once you realize how interwoven the content really is with the presentation, you will realize (perhaps) how dense the book is and how much you may have missed. I Think Surely Most Everything Truly Abstracts.*




As a gentler introduction, I would recommend listening to this podcast of Radiolab on loops. It's a great show in general, but if you want to just hit the part about Gödel it is 38 minutes in.



Unprovability, in mathematics, is called independence. One method commonly used to prove independence is called forcing. From the wikipedia article, I see that it is covered in Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs, by Kenneth Kunen. I have not read this book, but from the online preview and the comments on the wikipedia page I would have to say that it requires a strong mathematical background.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...