Wednesday 20 June 2018

complex analysis - Why is $sinx$ the imaginary part of $e^{ix}$?

Most of us who are studying mathematics are familiar with the famous $e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)$. Why is it that we have $e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)$ and not $e^{ix}=sin(x)+icos(x)$? I haven't studied Complex Analysis to know the answer to this question. It pops up in Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Multivariable Equations and many other fields. But I feel like textbooks and teachers just expect us students to take it as given without explaining it to a certain extent. I also couldn't find any good article that explains this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...