Wednesday 24 July 2019

calculus - Homeomorphism between two sets

I am to prove that there is no homeomorphism between $(a,b)$ and $[a,b)$



It is defined that function is bijective, continuous, and inverse continuous.



How can I derive a contradiction assuming that there exists a homeomorphism between two sets?



One approach that I take is if f is continuous map $[a,b)$ to $(a,b)$, then $f^{-1}((a,b))$ must be open set, but $[a,b)$ is not open.



I think this way is more of like set theory rather than using definition of continuity and I doubt this completes proof or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...