Wednesday 31 July 2019

polynomials - Prove $x^n-1$ is divisible by $x-1$ by induction





Prove that for all natural number $x$ and $n$, $x^n - 1$ is divisible by $x-1$.



So here's my thoughts:
it is true for $n=1$, then I want to prove that it is also true for $n-1$



then I use long division, I get:



$x^n -1 = x(x^{n-1} -1 ) + (x-1)$



so the left side is divisible by $x-1$ by hypothesis, what about the right side?



Answer



So first you can't assume that the left hand side is divisible by $x-1$ but for the right hand side we have that $x-1$ divides $x-1$ and by the induction hypothesis we have that $x-1$ divides $x^{n-1}-1$ so what can you conclude about the left hand side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...