Thursday 18 July 2019

linear algebra - Determinant of a matrix in a block form




Let $A, B, C$ be matrices with size $m \times m$, $n \times n$, and $n \times m$, respectively. If $\det(A) = 2$ and $\det(B) = 3,$ then find
$$\det \begin{pmatrix} 0 & A \\ B & C \end{pmatrix} =\ldots $$



I stuck to solve this problem. I also wonder how can we calculate a determinant of matrix with some matrices in it (submatrices)?
Please, anyone help me


Answer



Hints.



Step 1.

$$
\det \left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & A \\ B & C\end{array}\right)
=(-1)^m\det \left(\begin{array}{cc} A & 0 \\ C & B\end{array}\right)
$$



Step 2.
$$
\det \left(\begin{array}{cc} A & 0 \\ C & B\end{array}\right)=\det A\cdot \det B
$$




Step 1, is obtained by $m^2$ permutations of rows and as many changes of sign.



Step 2, is obtained using the Jordan forms of $A$ and $B$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...