Tuesday 23 July 2019

calculus - How do I take the limit as $n$ goes to $infty$ of $frac{sqrt{n}}{log(n)}$?



How do take this limit:



$$ \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{\sqrt{n}}{\log(n)}$$



I have a feeling that it is infinity, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Should I use L'Hopitals Rule?


Answer



Let $n = e^x$. Note that as $n \rightarrow \infty$, we also have $x \rightarrow \infty$. Hence, $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n}}{\log(n)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\exp(x/2)}{x}$$
Note that $\displaystyle \exp(y) > \frac{y^2}{2}$, $\forall y > 0$ (Why?). Hence, we have that $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n}}{\log(n)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\exp(x/2)}{x} \geq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{x^2}{8}}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x}{8} = \infty$$



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...