Thursday 18 July 2019

Modular exponentiation problem




$10^7 \pmod {77}$



I tried repeated squaring, which worked but took many computations. I also tried Fermat's little theorem, but since $7 < 77$ I didn't know how to use it.



Any simpler way to do this?


Answer



Not much effort saved, but work separately mod $11$ (easy, since $10\equiv -1\pmod{11}$) and mod $7$ (easy since by Fermat $10^7\equiv 10\pmod 7$). Then stitch the answers together using the Chinese Remainder Theorem. In this case that can be done by inspection: the answer is $10$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...