Monday 11 November 2019

algebra precalculus - How to prove by induction that $frac{a^n+b^n}{2}geqleft(frac{a+b}{2}right)^n$?



I'm about to prove that for any $a,b>0$ and $n\in\mathbb{N},$ the inequality: $\frac{a^n+b^n}{2}\geq\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)^n$ holds.



By induction I get: $$\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)\cdot\frac{a^n+b^n}{2}$$ $$=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+ab^n+ba^n}{2}$$ $$=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}}{2}+\frac{ab^n+ba^n}{2}\right).$$ Now I have to prove that $$\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}}{2}+\frac{ab^n+ba^n}{2}\right)$$ $$\leq\frac{a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}}{2}$$ $$\Leftrightarrow a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}\geq ab^n +ba^n.$$ But I don't know how to prove that one, is it possible to be proved by induction ? Thank you.


Answer



Your desired inequality can be written as $0\leq (a-b)(a^n-b^n)$ this is true regardless which is bigger.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...