Saturday 23 November 2019

discrete mathematics - Proof by contradiction and mathematical induction

$\sum_{i=1}^n {2\over3^i}={2\over3}+{2\over9}+\dots+{2\over3^n}=1-{({1\over3})^n}$



I had this problem in class and we proved using 2 different methods: contradiction and mathematical induction. I thought it was understood, I just got bumped into certain point.



Please point it out which step I'm thinking wrong.



For the contradiction,

We assume that there is some integer n for which $i=1$ is false.
And we are applying smaller positive integer smaller than 1.



for the smallest n, ${2\over3}+{2\over9}+{\dots}+{1\over3^{n-1}}$ indicates that our assumption $i=1$ is false.



(I don't remember how the calculation was made for this proof by contradiction.)



Therefore, our assumption was true.



For induction,




Try out the base case with applying $i=1$
inductive hypothesis would be ${2\over3}=1-{1\over3}$



What would be the next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...