Saturday 23 November 2019

radicals - Prove that if $n$ is a positive integer then $sqrt{n}+ sqrt{2}$ is irrational




Prove that if $n$ is a positive integer then $\sqrt{n}+ \sqrt{2}$ is irrational.




The sum of a rational and irrational number is always irrational, that much I know - thus, if $n$ is a perfect square, we are finished.
However, is it not possible that the sum of two irrational numbers be rational? If not, how would I prove this?



This is a homework question in my proofs course.



Answer



Multiply both sides by $\sqrt n - \sqrt 2$. Then $n - 2 = \frac{p}{q} ( \sqrt n - \sqrt 2 )$ so $\sqrt n - \sqrt 2$ is also rational. So we have two rational numbers whose difference (which must be rational) is $2 \sqrt 2$, meaning that $\sqrt 2$ is rational.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...