Saturday 16 November 2019

calculus - How do I derive $1 + 4 + 9 + cdots + n^2 = frac{n (n + 1) (2n + 1)} 6$












I am introducing my daughter to calculus/integration by approximating the area under y = f(x*x) by calculating small rectangles below the curve.



This is very intuitive and I think she understands the concept however what I need now is an intuitive way to arrive at $\frac{n (n + 1) (2n + 1)} 6$ when I start from $1 + 4 + 9 + \cdots + n^2$.



In other words, just how came the first ancient mathematician up with this formula - what were the first steps leading to this equation? That is what I am interested in, not the actual proof (that would be the second step).


Answer



Same as you can prove sum of n = n(n+1)/2 by



*oooo
**ooo

***oo
****o


you can prove $\frac{n (n + 1) (2n + 1)} 6$ by building a box out of 6 pyramids:



enter image description here
enter image description here
enter preformatted text here




Sorry the diagram is not great (someone can edit if they know how to make a nicer one). If you just build 6 pyramids you can easily make the n x n+1 x 2n+1 box out of it.




  • make 6 pyramids (1 pyramid = $1 + 2^2 + 3^2 + 4^2 + ...$ blocks)

  • try to build a box out of them

  • measure the lengths and count how many you used.. that gives you the formula



Using these (glued) enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...