Friday 29 November 2019

elementary number theory - Geometrical intuition for sum of first n cubes

The relation



$$
\sum_{k=1}^n k^3 = \left(\sum_{k=1}^n k\right)^2
$$



baffled me when I first found out (i.e. yesterday on a train trip). Writing an inductive proof is easy and I know that there is a recursive way to obtain a general formula for




$$
\sum_{k=1}^n k^j
$$



for any $j \in \mathbb{N}$, but I feel like this relationship between the sum of the first n cubes and the sum of the first n integers should have some nice geometrical proof. The closest thing I found was the first answer to this question, but I still don't find it intuitively clear. Maybe I am asking for too much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...