Saturday 30 November 2019

complex analysis - Refining my knowledge of the imaginary number

So I am about halfway through complex analysis (using Churchill amd Brown's book) right now. I began thinking some more about the nature and behavior of $i$ and ran into some confusion. I have seen the definition of $i$ in two different forms; $i = \sqrt{-1} $ and $i^2 = -1$. Now I know that these two statements are not equivalent, so I am confused as to which is the 'correct' definition. I see quite frequently that the first form is a common mistake, but then again Wolfram Math World says otherwise. So my questions are:




  1. What is the 'correct' definition of $i$ and why? Or are both definitions correct and you can view the first one as a principal branch?


  2. It seems that if we are treating $i$ as the number with the property $i^2 = -1$, it is implied that we are treating $i$ as a concept and not necessarily as a "quantity"?


  3. If we are indeed treating $i$ as a concept rather than a "quantity", how would things such as $i^i$ and other equations/expressions involving $i$ be viewed? How would such an equation have value if we treat $i$ like a concept?





I've checked around on the various imaginary number posts on this site, so please don't mark this as a duplicate. My questions are different than those that have already been asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...