Tuesday 19 November 2019

Linear Algebra - Determining if two matrices are similar



Are the matrices $A = \begin{bmatrix}1&2&-3\\1&-1&2\\0&3&5\end{bmatrix}$ and $B = \begin{bmatrix}1&-1&4\\1&1&5\\1&1&6\end{bmatrix}$ similar?



I know that similar matrices have the same determinant, the same rank, and the same characteristic polynomial (and therefore, the same eigenvalues).



What I have tried:



$det(A) = -30$




$det(B) = 2$



$rank(A) = 3$



$rank(B) = 3$



How do I show the characteristic polynomial for $A$ and $B$?



Also since $det(A) \ne det(B)$, we already know that matrices $A$ and $B$ are not similar so we don't need to prove that using $B = P^{-1}AP$, right?


Answer




Similar matrices have the same eigenvalues, determinants are product of eigenvalues so similar matrices have same determinants. Thus, different determinants $\implies$ not similar, so you don't need to do any more work to prove they aren't similar.



You can find the characteristic polynomial from the definition -- the characteristic polynomial of $A$ is $det(A - \lambda I)$ [ or depending on who you ask, sometimes $det(\lambda I - A)$; this is negative of the other definition if $A$ has an odd number of rows] where $I$ is the identity matrix of the same size as $A$, and the variable is $\lambda$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...