Tuesday 17 June 2014

calculus - Find $lim_{x to 0}frac{cos 2x-1}{cos x-1}$ without L'Hopital's rule.



$$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\cos 2x-1}{\cos x-1}$$

I have found the above limit using L'Hopital's rule but since this rule is not given in the book so I'm supposed to do it without using this rule.



I know $$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1-\cos x}{x}=0$$



I tried to get something of the form of the above limit but I failed to do so.



Kindly help me solve this problem without using L'Hopital's rule.


Answer



Recall $\cos(2x)=2\cos^2(x)-1$ so we may rewrite as




$$\lim\limits_{x\to 0} 2\frac{\cos^2(x)-1}{\cos(x)-1}=\lim\limits_{x\to 0} 2\frac{(\cos(x)-1)(\cos(x)+1)}{\cos(x)-1}=2(\cos(0)+1)=4$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...