Tuesday 17 June 2014

linear algebra - Can we prove $BA=E$ from $AB=E$?





I was wondering if $AB=E$ ($E$ is identity) is enough to claim $A^{-1} = B$ or if we also need $BA=E$. All my textbooks define the inverse $B$ of $A$ such that $AB=BA=E$. But I can't see why $AB=E$ isn't enough. I can't come up with an example for which $AB = E$ holds but $BA\ne E$.
I tried some stuff but I can only proof that $BA = (BA)^2$.



Edit: For $A,B \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}$.


Answer




If $AB = E$, then (the linear application associated to) $A$ has a right inverse, so it's surjective, and as the dimension is finite, surjectivity and injectivity are equivalent, so $A$ is bijective, and has an inverse. And the inverse is also a right inverse, so it's $B$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...