Monday 23 June 2014

sequences and series - Show that $S$ has the same cardinality with the set of real numbers.




Suppose that $a_n$ is a sequence with values in $\mathbb R$ which is not ultimately constant.



Let $S$ be the set of the subsequences of $a_n$.






Question: Show that $S$ has the same cardinality with the set of real numbers.







Attempt: First, I tried to write $S$ in my logic as $S=\{a_{f_n}\;|\; f_n \text{is monotone increasing}, f_n:\mathbb N\to\mathbb N \}$



If two sets have the same cardinality, there must be a bijective mapping between them. If I am able to show there are uncountable many increasing $f_n$, then I am done, but I couldnot. Besides, how can one prove this by using my logic or in other method?






Comment:
Moreover, I can understand intuitively that there cannot be countable many such subsequences since $a_n$ is not convergent, that is not going to the any number, changes everytime.


Answer



The $\{0,1\}$ sequences are not ultimately constant (if we forget countably many being constant from some term), hence

$\mathfrak{c}=2^{\aleph_0}\leq|{S}|\leq\mathfrak{c}^{\aleph_0}=\mathfrak{c}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...