Thursday 19 June 2014

convergence divergence - Should I use the comparison test for the following series?



Given the following series



$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{\sin 2k}{1+2^k}$$



I'm supposed to determine whether it converges or diverges. Am I supposed to use the comparison test for this? My guess would be to compare it to $\frac{1}{2^k}$ and since that is a geometric series that converges, my original series would converge as well. I'm not all too familiar with comparing series that have trig functions in them. Hope I'm going in the right direction




Thanks


Answer



You have the right idea, but you need to do a little more, since some of the terms are negative. Use your idea and the fact that $|\sin x|\le 1$ for all $x$ to show that



$$\sum_{k\ge 0}\frac{\sin 2k}{1+2^k}$$



is absolutely convergent, i.e., that



$$\sum_{k\ge 0}\left|\frac{\sin 2k}{1+2^k}\right|$$




converges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...