Thursday 26 June 2014

real analysis - borel measurable functions and measurable functions



Say you are given the Lebesgue measure on the real line and a Lebesgue measurable function $f$. Here Lebesgue measure is a complete measure (defined for some non-Borel set). And note that in the case of real line, the borel sets are just the sets that are in the sigma-algebra generated by the open sets.




I remember seeing something like: we can change $f$ on a set of measure $0$, and turn $f$ into a Borel measurable function.



Now I don't quite know how I can prove it or if it is even true.



I think if it is indeed true, the same proof should work for any metric space and for any measure that satisfies:




  1. $\mu(A)=\inf_{O\supset A} \mu(A)$ for all measurable $A$, where the infimum is taken over all such open sets $O$.

  2. $\mu(A)=\sup_{K\subset A} \mu(A)$ for all measurable $A$, where the infimum is taken over all such compact sets $K$.




Can anybody give me any hint how one might prove this? Or if it's incorrect.


Answer



For every rational $r$ let $A_r = \{x: f(x) \le r\}$. There is a $G_\delta$ set
$B_r$ such that $A_r \subseteq B_r$ and $m(B_r \backslash A_r) = 0$.
Define $g(x) = \inf \{r \in \mathbb Q: x \in B_r\}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...