Thursday 12 June 2014

elementary number theory - Show that every greatest common divisor is a nonzero constant multiples of d(x)




Let $a(x), b(x), d(x)$ be polynomials



I need to show that every greatest common divisor $d(x)$ of $a(x)$ and $b(x)$ is a nonzero constant multiples of $d(x)$



I know it should be easy but i’m stuck, so any ideas?


Answer



Assume $d$ and $e$ are the gcd's of $a$ and $b$. Then by definition $e|d$ and $d|e$. Thus $e=kd$ for some polynomial $k$. Since $e|d$ the degree of $e$ is less than or equal to the degree of $d$, so $k$ must have degree $\leq 0$. Therefore $k$ is a constant, since $0 \neq e = kd$, we must have $k\neq 0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...