Wednesday 11 June 2014

notation - two or three dots

I have a more general question to ask:
about using the $\cdots$ symbol.



As far as I have heard three dots will represent that it continues up to infinity.



And I have found (mostly in computer programming) that two dots will be used in a case to indicate the terms between two specific points.




So my question is what is suitable to write in a case where finite number of terms are used.



For example Consider the set with $n$ number of elements. Let them be
$$x_1,x_2, \cdot \cdot x_n \;\text{ two dots. }$$ Or is it $$x_1,x_2, \cdots x_n\;\;?$$

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...