Friday 27 June 2014

linear algebra characteristic polynomial, matrix rank, Matrix similarity



I'm having a problem solving the following assignment, can someone please help me?



I'm given 2 $n \times n$ matrices, $n>1$.



A=$\begin{bmatrix}1 & .& .& .& .& .& 1\\. &&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\1 &.&.&.&.&.&1\end{bmatrix}$




B=$\begin{bmatrix}n & 0& & .& .& 0& 0\\0 &0&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\.&&&&&&.\\0 &.&.&.&.&.&0\end{bmatrix}$



1) I need to find the characteristic polynomial of A using A's Rank.



2) I need to prove that the Coefficient of $t^n-1$ in the characteristic polynomial of A is equal -(trA).



3) I need to prove that A and B are similar matrices and find P so that $B = P^{-1}AP$



*All of A's entries = 1.


Answer




$A$ is symmetric, so the algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue is equal to the geometric multiplicity.



It is not hard to see that, for any $x$, $Ax = c(1,1,\dots,1)^T$ for some constant $c$. Thus, its rank is $1$ (corresponding to eigenvalue $\lambda = ...?$) and the other $n-1$ eigenvalues are $0$. Such a matrix has characteristic polynomial



$$
(t - \lambda)(t - 0)^{n-1} = t^{n-1}(t - \lambda)
$$



For question 2, it is easy to directly calculate the trace, and you should now have the characteristic polynomial, so just verify.




To find a similarity transform, you can find all the eigenvectors (meaning, find $n$ linearly independent eigenvectors) of $A$, or of $B$. One will be much easier than the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...