Sunday 28 December 2014

discrete mathematics - Binomial Theorem identities, evaluate the sum



This is a homework problem, please don't blurt out the answer! :)




I've been given the following, and asked to evaluate the sum:



$$\sum_{k = 0}^{n}(-1)^k\binom{n}{k}10^k$$



So, I started out trying to look at this as equivalent to the binomial theorem, in which case, I could attempt something like this: $10^k = y^{n-k}$ but I didn't feel that got me anywhere.



So I started actually evaluating it...



$$(-1)^0\binom{n}{0}10^0 + (-1)^1\binom{n}{1}10^1 + \ldots + (-1)^n\binom{n}{n}10^n$$




So, if I'm thinking correctly, all the other terms cancel out and you are left with:



$$(-1)^n\binom{n}{n}10^n = (-1)^n10^n$$



But, obviously this cannot be correct (or can it?). The book gives a slightly different answer, so I'm wondering where I'm going wrong. Some direction would be greatly appreciated!



Books answer: $\displaystyle (-1)^n9^n$


Answer



Try to fit your sum into one of the following:
$$

\sum_{k=0}^n\binom{n}ka^kb^{n-k}=(a+b)^n,\quad\sum_{k=0}^n\binom{n}kb^{n-k}=(1+b)^n,\quad\sum_{k=0}^n\binom{n}ka^k=(a+1)^n.
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...