Thursday 18 December 2014

real analysis - Example of a non trivial endomorphism of the space of continuous functions?




Can someone give me an example of a nontrivial endomorphism of the space of continuous functions $R$ to $R$, besides derivation and multiplication by a scalar?



I know other endomorphisms exists, but I don't want some pathological thing I would like a concrete, explicit example besides the ones I already know.


Answer



Is such example $$\Phi(f)(x)=f(2x)$$ good for you? This is rescalling in the argument.



This example has a quite natural extension. Let $h:\Bbb R\to\Bbb R$ be a continuous bijection. Define $$\Psi(f)(x)=f\bigl(h(x)\bigr).$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...