Tuesday 22 March 2016

abstract algebra - How to show that any field extension $K/mathbb{Q}$ of degree 4 that is not Galois has a quadratic extension $L$ that is Galois over $mathbb{Q}$.

$\newcommand{\Q}{\mathbb{Q}}$Let $K/\Q$ be a field extension of degree $4$ that is not Galois. How to show that there exists an extension $L\supseteq K$ such that $[L:K]=2$ and $L/\Q$ is Galois?



I know the example of $\Q(\sqrt[4]{2})$ which is not Galois but is contained in the splitting field of $x^4-2$ which is Galois and of degree $8$, and I am trying to generalize this. But I am not even sure if we can write $K=\Q(\alpha)$ for some $\alpha$. Anyway, if this is the case, then the splitting field $L$ of the minimal polynomial of $\alpha$ would be Galois and of degree $8$, $12$ or $24$ since $\mathrm{Gal}(L/\Q)$ would be a subgroup of $S_4$. But how to rule out $12$ and $24$?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...