Saturday 12 March 2016

number theory - Prove that there exist infinitely many primitive Pythagorean triples $x, y, z$ whose even member $x$ is a perfect square.

Prove that there exist infinitely many primitive Pythagorean triples $x, y, z$ whose even member $x$ is a perfect square. [Hint: consider the triple $4n^2, n^4-4, n^4+4$, where $n$ is an arbitraty odd integer.]



What I got:



Using the hint. $4n^2, n^4-4, n^4+4$ is a Phytagorean triple if $x^2+y^2=z^2$. Replacing and solving the equation it is clear that, $(4n^2)^2+(n^4-4)^2=(n^4+4)^2$ where $n$ is odd is indeed a Pythagorean triple with $x=4n^2=(2n^2)^2$ a perfect square.




Now I have to prove that $gcd(4n^2, n^4-4, n^4+4)=1$.



But I'm stuck here. I tried $gcd(n^4-4, n^4+4)=1$ without success. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...