Monday 21 March 2016

elementary number theory - How can I prove by induction that $9^k - 5^k$ is divisible by 4?




Recently had this on a discrete math test, which sadly I think I failed. But the question asked:




Prove that $9^k - 5^k$ is divisible by $4$.




Using the only approach I learned in the class, I substituted $n = k$, and tried to prove for $k+1$ like this:



$$9^{k+1} - 5^{k+1},$$




which just factors to $9 \cdot 9^k - 5 \cdot 5^k$.



But I cannot factor out $9^k - 5^k$, so I'm totally stuck.


Answer



$$\begin{align} 9\cdot 9^k - 5\cdot 5^k & = (4 + 5)\cdot 9^k - 5\cdot 5^k \\ \\ & = 4\cdot 9^k + 5 \cdot 9^k - 5\cdot 5^k \\ \\ & = 4\cdot 9^k + 5(9^k - 5^k)\\ \\ & \quad \text{ use inductive hypothesis}\quad\cdots\end{align}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...