Wednesday 23 March 2016

calculus - Does the series $sum limits_{n=2}^{infty }frac{n^{log n}}{(log n)^{n}}$ converge?



I'm trying to find out now whether the series
$\sum_{n=2}^{\infty } a_{n}$ converges or not when
$$a_n = \frac{n^{\log n}}{(\log n)^{n}}$$




Again, I tried d'Alembert $\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}$, Cauchy condensation test $\sum \limits_{n=2}^{\infty } 2^{n}a_{2^n}$, and they both didn't work for me.



I can't use Stirling, nor the integral test.



Edit: I'm searching for a solution which uses sequences theorems and doesn't involve functions.



Thank you


Answer



A comparison test will work here; the key is to write both numerator and denominator in terms of exponentials with bases not involving $n$. Note that the numerator is $e^{\log^2 n}$, which is less than $e^{n/2}$ for sufficiently large $n$. The denominator is $e^{n \log \log n}$, which is greater than $e^n$ for sufficiently large $n$; so for all sufficiently large $n$ the terms are less than $e^{-n/2}$ and thus the series converges.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...