Monday 14 March 2016

simplifying a summation for a time series



I was curious how to simplify this summation that is giving me a bit of trouble



$Y_t$=$-\sum_{j=1}^\infty (\frac{1}{3})^j*e_{t+j}$



So i get that this is a geometric sum that converges and I would was thinking I would do the following




Sum = -$\frac{\frac{1}{3}*e_{t+1}}{1-\frac{1}{3}}=-\frac{1}{2}*e_{t+1}$



but the index on $e_{t+j}$ is causing me some problems. Do I need to take the $e_{t+j}$ into account in the denominator when I subtract the ratio?



Any help would be appreciated.


Answer



You can approximate the summation as you have tried:



$$\text{Sum}\approx-\frac12e_{t+1}$$




If you wanted to other values of $e_{t+j}$ into consideration,



$$\text{Sum}\approx-\frac12\operatorname{avg}(\{e_{t+j}\}_{j=1}^\infty)$$



Or, you could use the old fashioned method:



$$\text{Sum}=-\frac13e_{t+1}-\frac19e_{t+2}-\frac1{27}e_{t+3}-\dots$$



And just cut the sum short once you feel accurate enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...