Saturday 26 March 2016

calculus - Show equality of two integrals: $int_0^inftyfrac{cos x}{1+x}dx = int_0^inftyfrac{sin x}{(1+x)^2}dx$



I need to prove that:



$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos x}{1+x} \ dx = \int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x}{(1+x)^2}\ dx$$




but, one converges absolutely whereas the other is not.



I've tried few things like subtitution, integration by parts. I've also tried to use linearty and substract one from the other, hoping the result would be zero.
Yet, none of those worked for me. I guess it's probably demanding some creative subtitution I can't see but I'm not sure.


Answer



You may integrate by parts, obtaining
$$
\int_0^M \frac{\cos x}{1+x} \ dx =\frac{\sin M}{1+M} + \int_0^M \frac{\sin x}{(1+x)^2}\ dx,
$$ then let $M \to \infty$ to get the announced result.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...