Tuesday 22 March 2016

calculus - example of discontinuous function having direction derivative




Is there a function (non piece-wise unlike below) which is discontinuous but has directional derivative at particular point? I have a manual that says the function has directional derivative at $(0,0)$ but is not continuous at $(0,0)$.
$$f(x,y) = \begin{cases}
\frac{xy^2}{x^2+y^4} & \text{ if } x \neq 0\\
0 & \text{ if } x= 0
\end{cases}$$



Can anyone give me few examples which is not defined piece wise as above?


Answer



$$f(x,y)=\lim_{u\to0}\frac{xy^2+u^2}{x^2+y^4+u^2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...