Friday 27 May 2016

calculus - given Sn, find a_n and sum of a_n

I am given $$s_n=\frac{n-1}{n+1}$$ find $a_n$ and $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n$




I use $a_n = s_n-s_{n-1}$ and got $$lim_{n->{\infty}}\frac{2}{n(n+1)}$$



Then the theorem says



$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n= lim_{n->{\infty}}s_n$$



and the answer is 1 as n approaches infinity.



I also know that if I change $a_n$ into a telescope sum and solve it.

$$\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{2}{n}-\frac{2}{n+1}$$



it becomes $$\lim_{n->\infty}2-\frac{2}{n+1}$$



the answer is 2 as n approach infinity.



now, I don't understand why the two are not identical. did I make theoretical error with my reasoning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...