Tuesday 24 May 2016

summation - What is the formula for $frac{1}{1cdot 2}+frac{1}{2cdot 3}+frac{1}{3cdot 4}+cdots +frac{1}{n(n+1)}$



How can I find the formula for the following equation?



$$\frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+\frac{1}{3\cdot 4}+\cdots +\frac{1}{n(n+1)}$$



More importantly, how would you approach finding the formula? I have found that every time, the denominator number seems to go up by $n+2$, but that's about as far as I have been able to get:



$\frac12 + \frac16 + \frac1{12} + \frac1{20} + \frac1{30}...$ the denominator increases by $4,6,8,10,12,\ldots$ etc.




So how should I approach finding the formula? Thanks!


Answer



If you simplify your partial sums, you get $\frac12,\frac23,\frac34,\frac45,....$ Does this give you any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...