Monday 16 May 2016

calculus - Triangle and Circle maximization problem

So I was playing around GeoGebra and found this thing out, I don't know if this problem has a name or something.




Triangle ABC is inscribed inside a circle, from point D which is located inside the circle, we draw 3 perpendicular lines to each side of the triangle, what is the maximum area of the triangle whose vertices are the intersections of the perpendicular lines and the sides of the triangle? (maximum area of triangle EFG, the red triangle in the picture)



Using Geogebra I found out that this area is always maximal when point D is located at the center of the circle, or in other words, when the perpendiculars divide the sides into 2 equal segments.



If someone could provide a proof/explain why, I would be grateful.



See the diagram below:



enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...