Tuesday 26 March 2019

algebra precalculus - The drying water melon puzzle



I couldn't find an explanation to this problem that I could understand.



A watermelon consist of 99% water and that water measures 2 litre. After a day in the sun the water melon dries up and now consist of 98% water. How much water is left in the water melon?



I know the answer is ~1 litre, but why is that? I've read a couple of answers but I guess I'm a bit slow because I don't understand why.




EDIT
I'd like you to assume that I know no maths. Explain it like you would explain it to a 10 year old.


Answer



At the beginning the solid material is $1\%$ of the total which is a trifle (to be neglected) more than $1\%$ of $99\%$ of the total, or $1\%$ of $2000\ {\rm cm}^3$. Therefore the solid material has volume $\sim20\ {\rm cm}^3$.



After one day in the sun these $20\ {\rm cm}^3$ solid material are still the same, but now they make up $2\%$ of the total. Therefore the total now will be $1000\ {\rm cm}^3$ or $1$ litre. $98\%$ of this volume, or almost all of it, will be water.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...