Sunday 10 March 2019

analysis - $f(X cap Y) subset f(X) cap f(Y) $



In class we had the following function which I intend to prove for my own peace of mind.




Let $M$ and $N$ be sets and $f: M \longrightarrow N$ a function:
\begin{align}f: P(M) &\longrightarrow P(N) \tag{P denotes Powerset} \\ X & \longmapsto \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in X \rbrace \end{align}
Let $X,Y \subset M$ then:
\begin{align} f(X \cap Y) \subset f(X) \cap f(Y) \end{align}
Note: In our book (Zorich Analysis) $\subset$ denotes a subset, not necessarily a real subset.



Question: Is $f(X \cap Y) \subset f(X) \cap f(Y)$ a correct statement?



So I know that I need to show $A \subset B \iff x \in A \longrightarrow x \in B$. I tried as follows:
\begin{align}f (X \cap Y) = \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in (X \cap Y)\rbrace \end{align}

I guess for the proof to be correct I should mention here that $X \cap Y \neq \emptyset$ because $x \in \emptyset$ would be a contradiction to start with. I continued like this:
\begin{align} x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in X \wedge x \in Y\rbrace \longrightarrow x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in X\rbrace \wedge x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in Y\rbrace \end{align}
I don't know if this step is correct or not, but it seemed like it to me, I could conclude from there that:
\begin{align}x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in X \wedge x \in Y\rbrace &\longrightarrow x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in X\rbrace \wedge x \in \lbrace f(x) \mid x \in Y\rbrace \\ & \longrightarrow x \in f(X) \wedge x \in f(Y) \\ &\longrightarrow x \in ( f(X) \cap f(Y))
\end{align}
Would this complete the proof? Or do I also need to show that $f(X) \cap f(Y) \not \subset f(X \cap Y)$ ?


Answer



The simple way of doing this is to show $f(X \cap Y) \subset f(X)$ and $f(X \cap Y) \subset f(Y)$, because a subset of $f(X) \cap f(Y)$ is the same as a subset of $f(X)$ and $f(Y)$. (More generally, a subset of $A \cap B$ is the same as a subset of $A$ and of $B$.)



But both follow from the more general statement that if $A \subset B$, then $f(A) \subset f(B)$. Indeed, any element of $f(A)$ is of the form $f(a)$ for some $a \in A$, whence $a \in B$, whence $f(a) \in f(B)$, i.e., any element of $f(A)$ is an element of $f(B)$. Now apply this statement to $A = X \cap Y$ and $B = X$ or $B= Y$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...