Thursday 18 April 2019

divisibility - Gcd number theory proof: $(a^n-1,a^m-1)= a^{(m,n)}-1$

Prove that if $a>1$ then $(a^n-1,a^m-1)= a^{(m,n)}-1$




where $(a,b) = \gcd(a,b)$



I've seen one proof using the Euclidean algorithm, but I didn't fully understand it because it wasn't very well written.
I was thinking something along the lines of have $d= a^{(m,n)} - 1$ and then showing
$d|a^m-1$ and $d|a^n-1$ and then if $c|a^m-1$ and $c|a^n-1$, then $c\le d$.



I don't really know how to show this though...



I can't seem to be able to get $d* \mathbb{K} = a^m-1$.




Any help would be beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...