Friday 21 August 2015

discrete mathematics - Prove that $n^3 + 5n$ is divisible by $6$ by using induction




Prove that for integers $n > 0$, $n^3 + 5n$ is divisible by $6$.



Here is what I have done:



Base Step: $n=1$, $1^3+5(1)=6$



Inductive Step:



$p(k)=k^3 + 5k =6m$, $m$ is some integer




$p(k+1)=(k+1)^3+5(k+1)=6m$ $m$ is some integer



Since both are equal to $6m$ I set them equal to each other.



$k^3 + 5k=(k+1)^3+5(k+1)$



$k^3+5k=(k+1)[(k+1)^2+5]$



Proven that $p(k)=p(k+1)$




I do not think this is the correct way of proving this problem but I couldn't think of anything else.


Answer



Hint: $(k+1)^3+5(k+1) = (k^3 + 5k) + 3k^2 + 3k + 6$



Since $(k^3 + 5k)$ is divisible by 6, all you have to prove is $3k^2 + 3k + 6$ is divisible by 6 too. Since adding $6$ does not change divisibility, you just have to proove $3k(k+1)$ is divisible by 6. Think about even and odd numbers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...