Sunday 16 August 2015

question in linear algebra on Hermitian matrices



Hello this indeed a very short question from Algebra that I have no real idea on and figured it is simple but for some reason I cannot seem to find it. I am given $A$ and $B$ complex square matrices for which




$A^*A=B^*B-BB^*$ where * denotes the complex transpose.
I am required to show $A=0$ but have no idea how to deduce this the only thing I figured out was that both sides of the equality I am given are Hermitian but cannot proceed. Any help appreciated. Thanks


Answer



The matrix $A^*A$ is Hermitian non-negative, and it is enough to show that its only eigenvalue is $0$. By assumption, we have $Tr(A^*A)=0$. Recall that the trace is the sum of all eigenvalues. Now, if $\lambda>0$ is an eigenvalue, it follows that $A^*A$ has negative eigenvalues, which is impossible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...