Saturday 15 August 2015

real analysis - Problem with power series problem.




Using this theorem:




Let $(a_k)$ be a sequence in $\Bbb R$ and let $x_0\in \Bbb R$:




  • The power series: $$\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(x-x_0)^k \qquad \text{and} \qquad \sum_{k=0}^\infty ka_k(x-x_0)^{k-1} $$ converge uniformly in $[x_0-r,x_0+r]$ for all $r\in (0,R)$ where $R$ is the radius of convergence of $\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(x-x_0)^k $.


  • The function $$f(x):= \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(x-x_0)^k $$ is continously diferentiable in $(x_0-R,x_0+R)$, and its derivative is given by: $$f'(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty ka_k(x-x_0)^{k-1} $$






calculate the following: $$\tag {1} \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {k}{2^{k-1}}$$






So, I'm confused on what do I have to do. I'm gessing that we have to find the $x_0$ of this: $$\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {k}{2^{k-1}} (x-x_0)^k$$
I know that $\mathbf {(1)}$ converges to $4$, but I didn't used the theorem, and using the definition of radius of convergence, (superficially) I found that $R:=\sup\{r\in(-2,2) \mid \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac {k}{2^{k-1}}r^k<\infty \text{ (the sum converges in $\Bbb R$)} \}$.
I don't see what they're asking me to do, and why/how to use the theorem.


Answer




Hint: Take $x = 1/2$ and $x_0 = 0$. $\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty k (x - x_0)^{k-1}$ is the derivative of ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...