Thursday 20 August 2015

sequences and series - an AP is changed to form a GP



Three numbers whose sum is $15$ are successive terms of an arithmetic series. If $1, 1$ and $4$ are added to these three numbers respectively, the resulting numbers are successive terms of a geometric series. Find the numbers.



I have found from using the sum that $d=5-a$
and from that deduced that the second term in the GP must be $ 6$ (as $T_2 = a + d + 1$) but where do I go from here?



Thanks!


Answer



Let the three numbers be $5-d,5, 5+d$




New numbers are $6-d,6,9+d$ are in G.P



Clearly $6^2=(9+d)(6-d)\Rightarrow d=3,-6$



Original numbers are $2,5,8$ or $11,5,-1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...