Friday 28 August 2015

fraction simplication, resolution with one variable



I'm having some problems to understand a simplification and I know the correct answer but I'd like to understand why my method is wrong or what rule I'm breaking.



I have an equation like the following:




$$Fr \cdot \left( \frac1{Sr} + \frac1{Sp} \right) = \frac{Ft}{Sp}$$



Where the variable I'm looking for is $Fr$. My tendency was to do:



$$ Fr = \frac{Ft}{Sp} \cdot ( Sr + Sp ) $$



But it seems to be wrong, I should have do:



$$ Ft \cdot \left( \frac{Sp + Sr}{Sr \cdot Sp} \right) = \frac{Ft}{Sp} $$




and then:



$$ Ft = \frac{Sr \cdot Sp \cdot Ft}{Sp + Sr} $$



Why I can not simply pass & inverse the fraction to the other side? Thanks so much!!


Answer



Because



$$ \frac1a + \frac1b \neq \frac1{a+b} $$




This is already the case for $a=b=1$, where one the left side you get $2$ and on the right side you get $\frac12$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...