Saturday 22 August 2015

number theory - Solve the congruence $M^{49}equiv 2pmod{19}$.




Solve the congruence $M^{49}\equiv 2\pmod{19}$.





I don't know how to solve this one. I can get it down to $M^{13}\equiv 2$ using Fermat's little theorem, but after that I'm stumped.


Answer



Solve the Diophantine equation $18x+49y = 1$ and take the smallest positive solution for $y$. This turns out to be $y = 7$. Raise both sides of your congruence to the $7$ power



$$(M^{49})^7 \equiv 2^7 \pmod{19}.$$



Now you know that $49\cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod{18}$ so you have



$$M^1 \equiv 2^7 \equiv 14 \pmod{19}.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...