Tuesday 18 August 2015

divisibility - Help - remainders when number is divided



Please, give me hints, I've no idea ;):




Find greatest number $x$ such that $x<1000$ and $x$ divided by $4$ gives remainder $3$, divided by $5$ gives remainder $4$, and divided by $6$ gives remainder $5$.




I already know that for some natural $a, b, c$, $x=4a+3=5b+4=6c+5$, but what next? Help please.


Answer




You know that $x+1$ is divisible by $4$, $5$, and $6$ so $x+1$ is divisible by $60$. The largest number under $1000$ that is divisible by $60$ is $960$. So $x=959$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...