Tuesday 30 April 2013

abstract algebra - How to prove by the Well Ordering Principle that the equation $4a^3+2b^3=c^3$ has no solution over $mathbb{Z}^+$?



I've already tried to define a set of positive integers that contains all such numbers $c$, i.e $D= \{c : c^3 = 4a^3 + 2b^3, a, b \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \}$, then assuming is not an empty set for the sake of contradiction, if it is not an empty set of nonnegative integers then because of the WOP it must have a minimum element, I called this element $m$, but I can't find a way to prove that no positive integer raised to the third power can be represented by an expression like the given one with $a,b$ also being positive integers. I need help with this one. Thanks beforehand.


Answer




Let $(a,b,c)$ be a solution with $c$ the smallest possible. Then $c^3$ is even, hence $c$ itself is even. Put $c=2c_0$; then $2a^3+b^3=4c_0^3$. This time, we see that $b$ must be even. Put $b=2b_0$; then $a^3+4b_0^3=2c_0^3$, thus $a=2a_0$ must be even, and $4a_0^3+2b_0^3=c_0^3$, i.e. $(a_0,b_0,c_0)$ is another solution. But $c_0=c/2. Contradiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...