Monday 22 April 2013

limit of $cos x ^{tan x}$



As far as I know, $0^\infty$ is not an indefinite form and it goes to zero. Then the limit of $(\cos x)^{\tan x}$ when $x$ goes to $\pi/2 - $ should equal $0$.




But after log transformation, its limit is $\infty$. I am not sure which one is correct, zero or infinity?



Thanks for your help.



I slightly changed the question. I realized that $x$ goes to $\pi/2 - $ (left hand limit) in the original question.


Answer



Suppose that $f$ and $g$ are functions such that as $x \to a$, $f(x) \to 0$ and $g(x) \to \infty$, and consider $h(x) = f(x)^{g(x)}$. We know that
$$
\lim_{x \to a} \ln h(x) = \lim_{x \to a} g(x) \ln f(x) = -\infty,

$$
Thus,
$$
\lim_{x \to a} h(x) = 0.
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...