Monday 15 April 2013

calculus - Convergence of series $sumlimits_{n=2}^inftyfrac{n^3+1}{n^4-1}$




Investigate the series for convergence and if possible, determine its
limit: $\sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty\frac{n^3+1}{n^4-1}$





My thoughts



Let there be the sequence $s_n = \frac{n^3+1}{n^4-1}, n \ge 2$.



I have tried different things with no avail. I suspect I must find a lower series which diverges, in order to prove that it diverges, and use the comparison test.



Could you give me some hints as a comment? Then I'll try to update my question, so you can double-check it afterwards.



Update




$$s_n \gt \frac{n^3}{n^4} = \frac1n$$



which means that



$$\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} s_n > \lim\limits_{n\to\infty}\frac1n$$



but $$\sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty\frac1n = \infty$$



so $$\sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty s_n = \infty$$




thus the series $\sum\limits_{n=2}^\infty s_n$ also diverges.



The question is: is this formally sufficient?


Answer



$$\frac{n^3+1}{n^4-1}\gt\frac{n^3}{n^4}=\frac1n\;.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...